- GotomyPC: $20/1 computer/month
- LogmeIn: $349.99/2 computers/year
- VPN: Depend on what hardware do you want, for example, I use this Router/Firewall/VPN/WIFI at the low price $149.95 one time upfront cost. for most of my small business, because it has enterprise features with affordable price. It can perform well enough for ten VPN connections at the same time. It is well fit for the small business network.
- Secure VPN stands for (Virtual Private Network). It acts as if your VPN Client PC in the same network at Work. All the data from the VPN client to the remote network encrypted using vary of protocol, like SSTP, L2TP/OPENVPN, etc.
- GotomyPC/Logmein/or alike act as a proxy, your client PC communicate with their server through secure hypertext protocol, https, just like your PC browse some secure web site. Their proxy server communicates with your host PC at work using their proprietary protocol. It is why this technology bypasses your company firewall. If you can brown the Internet, you can always logmein/gotomypc unless your company using a proxy for browsing the Internet.
Base on my experience RDP (remote desktop) over secure VPN is faster and secure, and I can remote into any computers at work without paying extra $/computer/month using RDP.
If you have Verizon Wireless iPhone, turn on WI-FI calling by go to Setting -> Cellular -> Wi-Fi Calling –> Wi-Fi Calling on This iPhone.
Run your favorite browser, like Google Chrome, or Microsoft Edge. Check your default gateway IP address. It is the IP address of the Xfinity modem/router. By default, the IP of the modem is 10.1.10.1. At the address bar, type in http://10.1.10.1. The default userid/password is cusadmin/highspeed. Look at the screenshot below.
Next, the same screen, go to Gateway –> Connection –> Local IP configuration. Check the checkbox “Assign DNS manually”. Change the two IP addresses, primary and secondary DNS to OPENDNS , 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199 like the picture below:
Save the setting. That’s all. As the result, any device in your network using DHCP, it will pick up that two IP address for the DNS entries. To test if it works. Browse http://www.playboy.com, and if the browser response with this content, then it works.
For more information about OPENDNS visit their site. www.opendns.com
Have you wonder how you type in the URL to the address bar browser, and it displays a content of that URL?
Under the hood, the browser using the DNS, domain name system) to resolve the URL’s IP address and make a connecting to that host using protocol HTTP ( port 80) , or https ( port 443). This a fun part, sometimes we spell the URL wrong, the DNS resolve a different IP address which belongs to some bad host, and the browser display you a fake “Your computer infected by Virus”, but actually your computer is 100% virus clean, or a content of fake bank account look like your bank account to steal identity.
This is called “IP phishing”. Just hold the power button long enough to shut down the computer, and restart the computer normally.
How to prevent this problem. Use DNS from opendns.com, and assign those two IP addresses to your DNS in your main DHCP/Router. This way, OPENDNS have a blacklist of bad IP addresses and warning you to access the site, instead of hand in a bad IP to your browser. Using OpenDNS also block out adult content, and high-risk sites, that might harm your computer.
Click here –> How to change DNS entry in your DHCP server in xfinity modem/router box.